Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
| Yums |
I have been in a baking mood for a while, and last night, I made jalapeño cornbread muffins. I got the idea from a Kenny Rogers ad on Instagram, which reminded me how much I used to love corn muffins. And since I was already pining for anything with pimiento in it, I thought that a jalapeño-based recipe would give me the kick I needed.
I found a recipe on Genius Kitchen that called for many ingredients that I already had at home (eg, buttermilk from the chicken recipe, cornmeal from the arepa recipe); I only had to pick up jalapeños and other extras in case I ran out of anything.
After dinner, I got crackin'. Per the recipe, I measured out and mixed all the dry ingredients together, beat an egg, and sliced up a jalapeño. I also melted some butter in the microwave and let it cool slightly. Then I added all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and started combining everything together with a rubber spatula.
From my little experience making muffins in 8th grade Home Ec, during which my friend Jane did all the heavy lifting, the secret to a good muffin is to refrain from overmixing the batter. With that in mind, I carefully folded the batter into itself until all the cornmeal was wet. Then I added the sliced up jalapeños and parmesan cheese to the mix and repeated the process. Once the batter was combined just so, I scooped up spoonfuls and slid them into greased cupcake trays and placed them in the oven.
After 25 minutes, I took the trays out of the oven and saw these little spicy and cheesy gems, baked to a golden brown exterior. And taste-wise, they were delicious. They probably needed a little bit more salt (or a lot more cheese), but at their present state, they could already make a good side to any breakfast, especially warm and with some butter.
From my little experience making muffins in 8th grade Home Ec, during which my friend Jane did all the heavy lifting, the secret to a good muffin is to refrain from overmixing the batter. With that in mind, I carefully folded the batter into itself until all the cornmeal was wet. Then I added the sliced up jalapeños and parmesan cheese to the mix and repeated the process. Once the batter was combined just so, I scooped up spoonfuls and slid them into greased cupcake trays and placed them in the oven.
After 25 minutes, I took the trays out of the oven and saw these little spicy and cheesy gems, baked to a golden brown exterior. And taste-wise, they were delicious. They probably needed a little bit more salt (or a lot more cheese), but at their present state, they could already make a good side to any breakfast, especially warm and with some butter.
Comments
Post a Comment