Easter Brunch at Bosk

Happy Easter!

Belated happy Easter to all! My family and I celebrated the joyous occasion with brunch at Bosk (188 University Ave).

When my parents told me about the reservation, I was admittedly less than enthused. At $85 a person, I questioned whether or not it would be worth trying when we have dined at so many other restaurants that commanded the same price for food we already knew was good. Also, I feared that Bosk would be stuffy, if you catch my drift. My parents gave me the "don't knock it till you've tried it" argument, and at some point, I gave in.
--
When Easter rolled around, we walked into Bosk a little after our 11:30AM reservation and sat down at the back of the restaurant. They gave us a table for at least six people, so it was comfortable for my family of four. Our server came by a few minutes later and asked if we wanted to get a tour of the buffet to which we appreciatively obliged. 

Salad Bar

Like any brunch buffet, there was a salad bar, breakfast, seafood, and dessert station. Unlike other brunch buffets, there was also a kids' food, sushi, and dimsum station - the latter two a nod to the restaurant's Asian fusion ties.  With that said, I did notice that the selection wasn't as large as that of the Waterside Inn or Old Mill Inn, but the quality of the food coupled with the unconventionality of the dishes gave me reason to believe that the small selection was justified. 

I started with the caprese salad from the salad bar and the cauliflower truffle soup from the breakfast buffet. The salad was generous with the buffala and delicious, but the soup: It was on another level. In fact, it was heavenly. I would have had another bowl had I not been worried that I would get too full for the entrĂ©es. I slurped it to the last drop, alternating with the complimentary mimosa that the server had prepared for us.  

I seafood

After the salad and soup course, my sister and I returned to the buffet. I skipped the sushi and the seafood and went straight for the bacon and the banana bread french toast. I noticed that there was finally a serving spoon for the orzo pasta I had been eyeing, so I put a couple of scoops on my plate too. I know, it sounds like a bad combination, but trust me, it was good. And the maple syrup that leaked onto my pasta actually enhanced its flavour. I quite enjoyed it.

Hot food

When I was finished with what I considered was the breakfast portion of my meal đŸ˜‰, I went back to the buffet for the heavier dishes. Maybe I had been having too much salmon lately because I wasn't too keen to try any at the buffet. Instead I reached for the chicken supreme and the medley of vegetables beside it. I also took a slice of roast beef au jus and a scoop of mashed potatoes.

The chicken was good, though a little dry, and the roast beef was tender. Really, I fell in love with the mashed potatoes. Creamy and buttery, they were the tastiest of all. I can't say I didn't have seconds.

Buns, buns, hot cross buns

Branded desserts

Would have loved to try some of these!

Hands down the most impressive part of the entire buffet was the dessert station. My sister and I took turns oohing and ahhing at all the little desserts in front of us. The pastry chef, a Frenchman who was close at hand, came over and personally walked us through each of his creations. Feeling full, I only picked up a profiterole, a macaron, and a mini serving of lemon meringue pie.

My plate

I loved all three desserts. The profiterole was stuffed with a delicious vanilla cream that I just licked off my fingers; the macaron, which threw me for a loop with its lemon custard filling, was a balance of crunchy and soft; and the lemon meringue pie with its yellow chocolate ring was inventive while staying true to the flavours of the classic dessert.
--
Judging from what you've read, I know you're thinking that in spite of all my little praises, the meal wasn't perfect. And it wasn't. Some food could have been better, and others, I didn't even try to be able to comment on. But I genuinely had a lovely time. 

There was something in the buffet that appealed to my entire family: For my mom, it was the lobster; for my sister, it was the dessert; and for my dad and me, it was everything combined. The quality of food was certainly high: Although there were hits and misses in the entrées, the majority of the food was top-notch and worth a second serving. Most importantly, the service was impeccable: If we needed anything, be it a picture, napkin, ice, or cutlery, a number of servers was no more than a foot away to take care of it.

Bosk certainly won't be an everyday thing for me or my family, but we unanimously recommend its brunch buffet. 

Comments