Cooking Chili
| Chili |
Last weekend, Brian and I made chili, a hearty go-to meal for many on a cold day. Brian found a recipe on Genius Kitchen, which called for ground beef, beans, onions, peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Lucky for me, I had some beans leftover from last year as well as all the spices; I only had to spend $15 to get the rest of the ingredients.
| Spices |
The recipe itself was quite straightforward, involving only three key steps: (1) preparing the ingredients, (2) cooking the ground beef with the onions and peppers, and (3) letting the beef and the rest of the ingredients simmer together.
![]() |
| Beans, beans, the musical fruit |
| Jalapeño pepper |
In cooking a recipe as simple as chili, you'd think that there was nothing to it. But we learned one valuable lesson that afternoon:
"Use gloves when chopping peppers."
While we were waiting for the chili to simmer, I felt a burning sensation on my hands. I thought I had cut myself, but I didn't see any visible wounds, save the pain that I was feeling between my fingers or under my fingernails. I messaged Brian right away, asking if he too felt the same burning feeling. And hilariously, he did!
Even at the smallest doses, capsaicin in peppers can illicit a painful, burning sensation not just in your mouth and on your eyes but also on your skin. And it can also cling on to skin for dear life. I can tell you from my nail-biting habit that it stayed on my hands for days. 😜
![]() |
| Working it |
| Voila! |
Burning hands aside, our chili turned out great. Brian added some additional peppers to his chili, which gave it the heat he wanted. Mine was a little on the milder and runny side, but it still tasted good, especially with the sour cream and cheese topping.
We made a big batch, so we had enough chili for four lunches. 👍


Comments
Post a Comment