I had Hy expectations...

Looks can be deceiving

With my dad's lifelong mission to try every single steakhouse in the city in mind, we went to Hy's Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar (120 Adelade St W) for dinner over the long weekend.

On our way to our table at the back of the restaurant, I remember thinking that it definitely looked the part of a classy steakhouse. And it sounded like the steaks would be good too, judging from all the talk I had been hearing.

Cheese Toast for Two

To hell with our wallets! We decided to go all out and ordered whatever the heart desired, starting with the cheese toast. It was really just cheese on a slice of toast, but it was delicious.

Oyster Rockefeller

Table Side Caesar Salad

Then came the Oysters Rockefeller and the table side Caesar salad, which were more than enough to keep us while we waited for the main course to come around.

When the outside does not meet the inside
 
When my steak arrived, the server brought it to the table and accidentally spilled the bloody juices of my medium steak onto the white tablecloth. It was, of course, inconsequential, though it definitely did not lend well to the supposedly classy and refined atmosphere that Hy's portrayed itself to have. 

Maybe it's because I decided to forgo my regular cut of steak, but I did not like my filet mignon. It was tough, as filets mignons ought to be, but it was tasteless and difficult to enjoy.

The baked potato was equally unimpressive: A plain baked potato and a server asking you if you would like all the fixins' and then proceeding to add them for you do not make it special. It has to taste better than if I made it at home, but it didn't.

The Bananas Foster

The Bananas Foster was the only saving grace to the entire meal. I couldn't get enough it.

Hy's may be dressed up to fit in the big leagues, but it certainly did not meet my expectations. While I cannot complain about the service, the steak, what Hy's is known for, was underseasoned and thus sub-par. I can see why people would eat there, but I definitely would place it on the lowest rung of the steakhouse ladder.

Comments