It's always sunny in San Pedro


Our last full day in the desert didn’t turn out quite like we expected. For starters I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I had pink eye, and Brian waited over an hour for a tour that didn’t show up until after he already threw in the towel.

Panqueque con manjar

On the bright side: We got some much needed sleep; I discovered that I didn’t have pink eye after all; and after breakfast of panqueque con manjar, Brian managed to get us seats for an afternoon tour of Valle de la luna in lieu of the debacle that was his morning.

Tres Marias

Posing B

The afternoon tour took us to the site of Tres Marias, three natural rock formations in the middle of the desert. For the record, it was very chilly at the site; my measly sweater and summer shorts definitely did not do me any good.

After the site visit, we took a short walk along the road to get a spectacular view of the valleys and the sand dunes. True to form, I was just walking along with Brian when I slipped on a tiny slope down a gravel sidewalk. I had a nasty scrape all along my thigh, but I had a Brazilian couple to thank for cleaning it up with fresh water. Funnily enough, they started a short conversation with Brian and me by asking if we were Mexican. LOL! It was a very sweet comment. To this day I often tell Brian that "together, we're Mexican!".




We drove to our next destination, which was the entrance to Valle de la luna. We walked up the valley and was greeted by a breathtaking and certainly astounding view of a two-kilometre-long sand dune. It was out-of-this-world amazing.

Scared Joyce

In-his-element Brian

With that said, I must mention that we were still pretty high up, and coupled with my unfounded fear of heights and altitude affliction, it was a struggle to get around or to even take a decent picture with some of the greatest backdrops in the world. Brian, of course, was in his element. He even sat on the edge of the valley, as you can see above (scroll up!).




We walked back down the valley and jumped into the van for our final destination of the evening, and that was the Cordillera de la sal. There we watched the sun set along the mountains of the desert. 




For dinner we stayed in town and splurged on a set menu from a local restaurant. We ordered "Greek" salad, soup, and some pork steak. For what it was worth, our dinner was alright. Then we called it a night and got ready for our early morning bus ride and flight back to Santiago.

Adios!

It was a lovely vacation-in-a-vacation, and we have so many fond memories of those three days in the desert. Hopefully, we make it back there one day! 

Comments