"No todo lo que brilla es oro": Phrases from Duolingo

I have been taking Spanish Duolingo a lot more seriously these days now that my trip is coming up (and now that I am finally over my Netflix binge-watching days :D). It has been extremely useful in refreshing my meager knowledge of the language and in teaching me some fun, new phrases. For 30 lingots, you can "buy" modules that touch on some–let's just say–extracurricular knowledge. :) I used some of my lingots to get the Flirting module (haha, yup) and the Spanish Idioms module.  

I will let you sort through Spanish pick-up lines on your own time, but here are some interesting Spanish idioms, along with their rough English translations:

"No todo lo que brilla es oro."
All that glitters isn't gold. 

"Mucho ruido y pocas nueces."
Lots of noise and little action. 

"Cada loco con su tema."
To each their own. 

"Barriga llena, corazón contento."
A full belly and a happy heart.

"Donde fuego se hace, humo sale."
Where there is smoke, there is fire.

"El amor todo lo puede." 
Love conquers all.

"Más puede la pluma que la espalda."
The pen is mightier than the sword.

I know, I know. Some of these idioms are kind of obvious, but I think they're cool. In fact I'm going to try and drop these into my conversations in the coming weeks; I'll let you know if anyone notices. Hahaha.

Comments