Spain 2015: The Alhambra

En route to the Nasrid Palaces

I woke up at the crack of dawn to catch the shuttle to the Alhambra (Calle Real de la Alhambra, s/n, 18009 Granada). It was a good thing too because it quickly became apparent that walking there was not an option. It was at least a 30 minute hike up to the Alhambra, one that I was not prepared to make sniffling and alone.

When I got out of the shuttle, I raced to the entrance and was met by a long line-up. Thankfully, I had bought my ticket online and was able to join the line for ticket pick-up. Once I had printed my ticket, I went to a nearby food stall and bought a bottle of water and a sandwich for both breakfast and lunch. I then made my way to the entrance of the Alhambra. Without further ado, here are some of the pictures from my visit.   

Palace of Charles V

Fun with timers

Okay, I lied, but I will just share one more story before I let you scroll in peace. As you know, I made it into the Alhambra in a cinch and arrived early for my scheduled entry time to the Nasrid Palaces, arguably one of the most beautiful areas of the entire complex. What you might not know is the fact that I almost didn't make it there... Twice! Perhaps it was fatigue or illness that addled my brains, but for a brief moment, I confused the entry time with that for the entire Alhambra. I had just entered the grounds and was making my way to the Generalife when I realized my confusion and made my way over. When I finally arrived near the Nasrid Palaces, I got sidetracked by the Palace of Charles V and almost missed it again.

Thankfully, the Alhambra gives you an hour leeway to make your entry time, and the staff are very understanding: they let me bypass the line so that I could make into the Nasrid Palaces in the nick of time. Phew! Had things not worked out in that way, I would have been very heartbroken. Everyone knows that I planned my trip around the Alhambra visit and the Tomatina, and it would have been devastating to fly into Granada only to find out that you can't even make it into the Palaces. Hahaha. Anyway, please carry on with your browsing.
 
Patio de los Arrayanes

Patio de los Leones

The honeycomb ceiling in one of the rooms

Beautiful glass ceiling

Jardin de Lindaraja

Rest break

Beautiful flowers

Palacio del Partal

View of Granada

Inside the Alcazaba

Interesting plants

I love these archways

More flowers

Even more flowers!

The entrance to the Palacio del Generalife

What a view

The Alhambra is beautiful, isn't it? :) I spent my entire morning and early afternoon there before heading back into town for the evening. It was a shame though. I surely would have loved to spend more time there.

Dinner

I freshened up at the hostel and afterwards went along Calle Reyes Catolicos for dinner. I chose to eat Churros con chocolate aka the dinner of champions! Hahaha. Unfortunately, there were quite bland. When I overheard the chef tell another customer that he made his churros in the morning, it was already too late. At least he was nice, and the chocolate was good. Haha!

Live flamenco

After dinner, I went back to the market to buy souvenirs and postcards and saw another flamenco performance (I wasn't kidding when I said that I stopped for each one). This performance in particular was quite good. I watched the entire thing!

Calle Reyes Catolicos

Plaza del Carmen at night

It was soon evening and time to pack up for the following day's journey to Valencia. I can't say that I saw everything Granada had to offer, but I liked the glimpses that I got to see and experience. The Alhambra is lovely, and the city beyond it is so charming. I have half a mind to go back at the earliest opportunity, but time can only tell when I will find myself in Granada again. 

Last look

Comments