27 Things: Finish a 10K Run

I did it!

My 10K obsession began a little over two years ago. My friends are avid runners, and because of that, I had the crazy idea to sign up for my first 10K early last year. I began training by running in circles around our basement and outdoors in winter weather, black ice and all. I progressed to training on an indoor track soon after, where I ran religiously for four months until I was able to run a distance of 7K. I was a week away from my scheduled run when circumstance put my running on hold.

Late last year, my dream of running a 10K crept up on me again. I thus signed up for the Toronto Yonge Street 10K, which was set to take place on April 19, 2015. Like last year, I followed a 10K training program and began training in early January. Unlike last year, I suffered a few setbacks: I got sick a couple of times and injured myself from running on concrete. With a heavy heart, I decided that I was not going to run this year's 10K. I was just not prepared for it.

The big "BUT" 

But my running partner and dear friend Victoria was LIVID when she found out that I was not even considering walking the run. With her encouragement, I reluctantly changed my mind, picked up my race kit, and silently stressed about the run for hours and hours on end.

Run Day 

I remember waking up last Sunday, thinking that April 19, 2015 could easily be the best or worst day of my entire life. All sorts of worries flooded my mind: will I make it? Will I finish? What if I am the last one in the run? That being said, I got dressed, packed my things, and left home at 7:15AM. My parents graciously dropped me off at the start line, where I dropped off my kit and waited for the run to begin.

There are a lot of runners in the GTA! LOL. I heard that approximately 7,000 runners* had signed up for the run, which made for one packed Yonge St. Just before 9:00AM, the runners began assembling into their corrals and eagerly waited for their start time.

*By the end of the race, only 5,345 runners had participated and/or finished the run. 

The start line

At 9:20AM, my corral was off! As expected, everyone in the corral was initially bunched up and running together. But this soon changed, and ten minutes in, I was only running with about ten or so people.

Chilly as it was that morning, Sunday was undeniably beautiful for a run. As an amateur in the running circuit, I really enjoyed the view that the run had afforded me. Running and walking down Yonge St. in the literal sense are certainly different from merely shopping alongside it. I ran the first 1.5K before I took a break for my overworked and injured leg. I then alternated running and walking as necessary. It is worth noting that every few kilometres had a station for either refreshments or entertainment. It was awesome.

The Finish Line 

At 10:47AM, I made my final sprint and crossed the finish line!!! (I was determined to beat a man with a baby stroller and beat him I did!) It was an exquisite feeling. Of course, I was not as satisfied as I would have been had I run the entire 10K, but I was elated that I had actually finished the run against all odds. It was not easy, I can tell you that much. But I feel strangely accomplished all the same. Hahaha. Thank you to my family and friends for all of your support! Cheesy as it sounds, I could not have done this without you.  

Celebratory Brunch at Lamesa  

Homemade sign from Holly <3 

Finishing the 10K also meant making it to brunch! Hahaha. I met Hellen, Holly, Kevin (also a TYS10K runner!), and Victoria at Lamesa (669 Queen St W), where we feasted on Filipino brunch and Calamansi juice.

Filipino Brunch Madness!

Thank you for reading. Until next year's run, folks! 

My runner partner and me! <3 

Comments

  1. So proud of you, Joysizzle!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hollyfizzle! <3 Hopefully, we can run one together in the future!

      Delete

Post a Comment