TIFF 2014: Haemoo and Pas Son Genre
What a year for TIFF screenings! My initial goal in late August was to watch at least one film but, thanks to circumstance, I ended up watching three. Most amusing is the fact that they all turned out to be foreign language films I would not have been able to see were it not for the festival.
I started TIFF week with the Arabic film Theeb (read about my experience here: "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade"), followed by the Korean film Haemoo with Holly, Hellen, and V. Going into last Tuesday's red carpet premiere, I was under the assumption that Haemoo was a pensive and potentially inspirational film about human smuggling in the late 1990s. I was wrong - Haemoo was much darker than I had originally anticipated.
Spoiler Alert: Haemoo is about a ship captain whose boat was nearing the end of its heyday. In order to be able to keep his boat and his crew employed, the captain takes on a lucrative albeit illegal job to smuggle Korean-Chinese immigrants across international waters and into South Korea. The captain and his then-confounded crew consequently travel to the middle of the ocean, pick up the immigrants, and begin to make their way back to shore.
An unfortunate run-in with the coast guard leads to a damning turn of events that leaves the captain and the crew stranded in an ocean of moral dilemma (watch Haemoo and you will understand what I mean). The captain then had a decision to make. Unfortunately, his decision changes the situation from a morbid accident to a disturbing clean-up job that takes a toll on him and on the rest of the crew.
Post-screening thoughts: I remember walking out of Roy Thomson Hall thinking that I would not want to see a film like Haemoo ever again. Mind you, my view is not at all a reflection of the merits of the film, which was well-written, thematic, and unpredictable -- I was sitting at the edge of my seat for practically the entire film. Perhaps it was just far too horrific and disturbing for someone who hardly watches psychological thrillers like me.
Thankfully, Pas Son Genre ("Not My Type") brought my spirits up. Pas Son Genre is a romantic comedy about the relationship between a Parisian academic named Clement and a hairdresser named Jennifer. The film opens with Clement being assigned a one-year contract to teach philosophy in Arras. With his loath for provincial life unsurprisingly palpable, Clement decides to ask Jennifer out for a drink after meeting her at an appointment. They soon begin a beautiful and passionate relationship, composed of visits to the beach, trips to the movies, and bedside readings of famous literary works.
Spoiler Alert: Their relationship changes when Jennifer discovers that they have different views on love, with Clement being perpetually indifferent to love and Jennifer being a hopeless romantic. After a short bout of anger, Jennifer decided to turn the tables on Clement to see if she could incite any real emotion from the exceptionally distant academic. Her tricks apparently worked on Clement and, for a brief moment, it seemed that their relationship was going to last.
The couple was in town for a parade one afternoon when they run into Clement's colleague and her family. A seemingly meaningless exchange of introductions soon reveals the true nature of their relationship to one other. As always, Clement remains aloof to the encounter's real effect on their relationship. In contrast, it tugs at Jennifer's heartstrings and finally gives her the impetus to save herself from an unbalanced love affair. The film closes with Clement arriving at the salon to surprise Jennifer with a bouquet of roses and Jennifer... gone.
Post-screening thoughts: I am extremely happy that Diana picked this film for TIFF week because I really enjoyed it. It had elements of romance, comedy, and the unexpected elements of suspense and drama. Loic plays his part well as does Emilie - her facial expressions tell you the real story. Moreover, her musical sequences with the girls at the salon were unexpected and heartwarming. They are skillfully placed throughout the film to highlight specific points in Jennifer's life (ie, her life before, with, and after Clement).
It was a pleasure watching three foreign language films in three different genres. I got to rush for tickets, attend a red carpet premiere, and watch a screening at the TIFF bell lightbox. I certainly look forward to next year's TIFF season for which I will hopefully be a member. :) Cheers!



Comments
Post a Comment