Good Reads: Andy Weir's "The Martian"

Copyright of Crown Publishers
My choice of reading clearly indicates that I am a space nerd: I have been reading Andy Weir's "The Martian" since the weekend and it has been a good and quick read so far. It was listed on Chapter's monthly newsletter and, as always, I was captivated by the cover photo (of course) and by the storyline. Briefly, it is about an astronaut named Mark Watney who was mistakenly left behind on Mars after a freak sandstorm. He surprisingly survives the blight and the book recounts his many sols (Martian equivalent to an Earth day) on the red planet.

"The Martian" is Gravity-esque in sentiment, reading partly as a journal and as a conventional non-fiction. The writing is uncomplicated and is thus understandable to any reader--space nerd or not. "The Martian" has truthfully been hard to put down and I really hope that things work out for Mark in the end. I will find out in 250 pages. *Crossed fingers*

Comments