Tapas Galore at The Black Hoof
| The Black Hoof Tasting Crew (Photo Credits: Karen) |
To The Black Hoof!
Karen and I met at Yonge and Dundas and rode the streetcar that would take us to Dundas and Grace, the closest intersection to The Black Hoof. We were forewarned that the restaurant would be hard to look for and were thus prepared for a major "Where is Waldo?" moment. Interestingly, it did not take Karen and I that long to find the rest of our party because they were seated directly by the restaurant front. In fact, we must have walked two or three steps past the restaurant before we noticed our friends conversing merrily through the window and had to back-track to The Black Hoof's sliding front doors.
After exchanging a few greetings, we wasted no time in selecting dishes from the chalkboard menu attached to the restaurant wall. We then ordered the same dishes from our server, who graciously gave us helpful suggestions on the quantity and the order at which our food would arrive.
The first dishes to arrive at our table were the horse tartare and the charcuterie (not shown). We shared the two dishes between the six of us and, together, had our first taste of raw horse meat. Our table felt mixed emotions regarding the dish but I belong to the group of people who liked it. It is much better tasting than tartare de boeuf, which I have had twice previously in Paris and in Toronto and had not enjoyed both times.
| Bland taste and texture, great picture |
| Muy delicioso! |
| Salty and Crispy |
They turned out to be saltier than anything I could have imagined. Perhaps it may have tasted better with the dipping sauce but I missed it during our dinner. In any case, eating jelly fish was an experience for all of us as was eating its delicious fried chicken companion.
| Dessert (Background photo credit: Karen) |
The ants in a foie was actually foie gras on a peanut butter cookie that was dressed with raisins, peanuts, and sweetened celery. I am sure I am forgetting a component or two but this dish was definitely one of The Black Hoof's finest creations. It is extremely imaginative and impressive. I was convinced that I would be eating crawling ants. Moreover, I am sure that I gave the rest of our tasting crew a bit of a scare with my prediction but we were nevertheless relieved and satisfied with what appeared at our table. I really liked ants in a foie - I highly recommend it.
The apple skillet was equally as exquisite as its predecessor. We ordered two to share between the six of us because, in Victoria's words, "it is not a question of 'if' but of 'how much'". We did not regret our decision in the slightest because it was really, really good. The apple skillet was topped with white cheddar ice cream that was confusing for the senses because it was more salty than sweet. However, it offered an interesting contrast to the crunchy pistachio praline and the soft and savoury apple cake underneath it.
A great kick-off to a year of foodie adventures!
The Black Hoof was divine. Dining there was an experience and an extremely memorable one at that. I really cannot give enough credit to Holly and Karen for discovering the restaurant and ensuring that plans went forward in spite of my wishy washy schedule. They too had written about their experiences at the restaurant, which you can read about through the listed links:
- Holly: "#17 Eat at Black Hoof."
- Karen: "Sharing Meat-based Tapas at The Black Hoof!"
YAY! I'm glad we got to go to this place together and check off such a random item I put on my list, lol. I'm glad we all enjoyed it so much, too! :D
ReplyDeleteThe bone marrow was good on the bread! So rich and fatty though, haha. And hurray, the pork carnitas tacos were my favourite of the night, too! Hehe, lechon and chicharon.
Can't wait for our next food adventure (as our pockets will allow, lol)! Let me know if you have any dates free or restaurants in mind for Winterlicious~ ;)
I agree! I really like your restaurant pick, Holly. Thank you for organizing. The bone marrow was good on the bread but it was, as you had said, extremely fatty and required a lot of salt for me. :( Maybe I will like it in the future. Who knows?
DeleteCan't wait for our next food adventure either! Talk to you soon! :)