Meals on Macleod Trail

Over the holidays, my family and I traveled to Calgary to spend Christmas with my dad's side of the family. Our family is quite huge in the Prairies: three of my aunts live there as do approximately twenty or so cousins. :)

Fire Dragon Roll
In the course of our week-long holiday and in planning for this post, I noticed that a few of our meals consisted of brunch, lunch, and dinner on Macleod Trail, a major road that runs from downtown to south Calgary. In fact, our food adventures on Macleod began at Sho Sushi (110 - 7212 Macleod Trail S), where my cousin Kristine treated my family and I for lunch on boxing day.

The service at Sho was not bad. Moreover, the food was great overall. Kristine took care of all of the ordering so all of the dishes that arrived at our table were a surprise for me. My favourite dish of the afternoon had to be the Fire Dragon Roll for both taste and theatrics. It was served on a flaming platter, which was extinguished once you grabbed a piece of sushi from the plate. It was a great dish along with the other dishes Kristine had ordered.

Our next meal on Macleod was brunch at Tango Bistro (6920 Macleod Trail S) with many of our cousins. There were perhaps sixteen of us in total (including our uncle Dan :)) and we all met up on Saturday morning for a few hours of bliss.

One of my favourites!
The spread at Tango was as impressive as it had been during my first two visits to the restaurant in 2011. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the Eggs Benedict whose English muffin was over-heated and thus hard to cut and chew. Nevertheless, the service was great--my coffee mug was always filled with coffee--and the rest of the dishes served on the brunch buffet were more than satisfactory.

Our third meal on Macleod was a late lunch at White Spot (10440 Macleod Trail SE). Contrary to the other two restaurants mentioned thus far, White Spot is a long-time favourite of mine since I was a wee teenager growing up in the west coast. We do not have a branch in the east coast just yet but I am sure eastern Canada will catch on in the future as they had done for Earl's.

We indulged in burgers, onion rings, poutine, and vanilla and strawberry milkshakes that afternoon and are happy to report that White Spot has not changed over the years. I miss you, White Spot, and I hope you make your way to the east coast soon. :D

Post-Movie Meal
Our fourth and final meal on Macleod was a late night snack with the cousins at Cactus Club Cafe (7010 Macleod Trail S) after watching the comical Wolf of Wall Street at Chinook (6455 Macleod Trail SW). We decided to order a bunch of appetizers and shared them amongst the rest of the table.

We hadn't had dinner before our movie so we were starving by the time the beef carpaccio, calamari, westcoast pocket trio, crispy yam fries, and baked potato skins among others arrived at our table. We even had room for dessert and ordered a chocolate lava cake to share among eight people.

I really like Cactus Club Cafe and will definitely give the mains a try during our next visit to Calgary. ;-)

(Side Note: I miss everyone. Hope we see each other soon! Hugs from us! <3)

Comments

  1. Glad you had such a great time in Calgary with all your family! That Fire Dragon Roll sounds amaaaaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! I miss them. The Fire Dragon Roll tastes amazing too as do the other dishes. It's actually not a bad place for sushi though I daresay it is more expensive than I thought. In any case, it's a dining option if you ever find yourself in Calgary. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment