Good Reads: Chris Hadfield's Memoir

Do you recognize the man making a sandwich below?



Or this man doing a rendition of David Bowie's "Space Oddity"?



He is none other than astronaut Chris Hadfield, the first Canadian to conduct Extra-Vehicular Activity (EVA) or a "space walk" and the first Canadian to command the International Space Station (ISS).

I have been reading Colonel Hadfield's memoir, titled "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" since the new year and I have been enjoying it so far. Space travel has always been fascinating to me and Colonel Hadfield, by way of his autobiography and his YouTube videos, has piqued my interest in space to even greater heights. In fact, I have been watching his videos since Friday afternoon and the simplicity of merely hand-washing or sleeping in space has not gotten old just yet.

Fantastic Read (Photo Credit: Link)
In his memoir, Colonel Hadfield speaks in two different voices. Firstly, he speaks as a former astronaut to tell us about his adventures as a commander of the ISS and, secondly, he speaks as a therapist for the nations whom teaches us how to best live and succeed in life on earth.

It is written simply and earnestly and thus has a palpable emotional effect on readers such as myself. His advice can apply to anything in life and, as a result, can be relatable to both book lovers and space enthusiasts alike.

I will undoubtedly be saddened when my "space" travels through Colonel Hadfield's life come to an end but I have grown rather fond of the journey nonetheless. I hope you give his memoir a read if you have not done so and enjoy the journey as well.

Comments