Autumn in New York: Transportation Mayhem (Day 1)
On an whim, my long-imagined plans to spend autumn in New York had finally come to fluition this past weekend. Patrice was visiting her brother at Waterloo and suggested that we go to the Big Apple for a weekend and I naturally said yes. I bought the plane tickets through Porter while she booked the hotel reservations at the Hudson Hotel.
Patrice flew in one day early and I followed the day after. On the day of the flight, I left work at noon and met my cousin Jessica for a late lunch of chicken schnitzel and Rosti at RichTree (181 Bay St). Afterwards, I took the shuttle and the ferry to Billy Bishop Airport and waited for boarding time. Unfortunately, due to the strong winds at New Jersey, all flights to the Newark Airport were delayed by an hour, including my 5:00PM flight. In spite of that, I enjoyed hanging out at the Porter lounge where I got to drink free soda care of the airline.
I finally flew out of Toronto just after 6:00PM and arrived at Newark by around 7:30PM. Surprisingly, border security was quite quick - I was out of the airport within fifteen minutes of landing in New Jersey. I was in pretty good spirits as a result of this. However, my good spirits were dashed when the shuttle to Grand Central station did not arrive for an hour. Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed at the unfortunate turn of events. As the saying goes: "the hits just keep on coming!"
The situation was slightly salvaged by the good conversation I had the pleasure of exchanging with the shuttle driver and the experience of hailing my first cab in New York city. The latter was an unwritten bucket list item and, at the time, I remember it feeling so natural and feeling as if I had been hailing New York city cabs for my entire life. As mundane as it may have been to others, hailing a cab was an extremely pleasing experience and I am happy to say that that was not the last time I got to do it during the entire weekend. :)
It was a pleasure finally getting into New York city, driving by Bryant Park, and arriving at the hotel after a cumulative two-hour delay. I ran into Patrice soon after arriving at the hotel and rested for a couple of hours before heading out for a late dinner of pork katsu and ramen with Beya at HanaMichi (28 W 32nd St, New York, NY) in Koreatown.
We did not get back to the hotel until it was close to 5:00AM in the morning, which was unsurprising given the short amount of time we had at the city famously described as the city that never sleeps. We did not sleep much either during that first night but I have no regrets except for the fact that an earlier flight would have been nice. :)
Patrice flew in one day early and I followed the day after. On the day of the flight, I left work at noon and met my cousin Jessica for a late lunch of chicken schnitzel and Rosti at RichTree (181 Bay St). Afterwards, I took the shuttle and the ferry to Billy Bishop Airport and waited for boarding time. Unfortunately, due to the strong winds at New Jersey, all flights to the Newark Airport were delayed by an hour, including my 5:00PM flight. In spite of that, I enjoyed hanging out at the Porter lounge where I got to drink free soda care of the airline.
I finally flew out of Toronto just after 6:00PM and arrived at Newark by around 7:30PM. Surprisingly, border security was quite quick - I was out of the airport within fifteen minutes of landing in New Jersey. I was in pretty good spirits as a result of this. However, my good spirits were dashed when the shuttle to Grand Central station did not arrive for an hour. Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed at the unfortunate turn of events. As the saying goes: "the hits just keep on coming!"
The situation was slightly salvaged by the good conversation I had the pleasure of exchanging with the shuttle driver and the experience of hailing my first cab in New York city. The latter was an unwritten bucket list item and, at the time, I remember it feeling so natural and feeling as if I had been hailing New York city cabs for my entire life. As mundane as it may have been to others, hailing a cab was an extremely pleasing experience and I am happy to say that that was not the last time I got to do it during the entire weekend. :)
It was a pleasure finally getting into New York city, driving by Bryant Park, and arriving at the hotel after a cumulative two-hour delay. I ran into Patrice soon after arriving at the hotel and rested for a couple of hours before heading out for a late dinner of pork katsu and ramen with Beya at HanaMichi (28 W 32nd St, New York, NY) in Koreatown.
We did not get back to the hotel until it was close to 5:00AM in the morning, which was unsurprising given the short amount of time we had at the city famously described as the city that never sleeps. We did not sleep much either during that first night but I have no regrets except for the fact that an earlier flight would have been nice. :)
Comments
Post a Comment