For Better OR For WVRST: A Quick Look At Toronto's Own Sausage Hall

Excuse my wordplay. Today is Tuesday after all and I am writing this after a long day of both school and work - combined! For tonight's restaurant review, I would like to recount last Wednesday's quickie at WVRST (609 King St W), a restaurant devoted entirely to sausages. I must admit that I was initially reluctant to write about my tasty albeit short-lived experience at the sausage hall because I felt like it would have been an unfair representation of what a true WVRST dinner would have been like. However, I have since changed my mind and decided that I would give you a minute review instead.

(1-3-5 Photo Credit: Karen <3)
Let me begin by saying that I had been hearing good things about the meaty establishment for months. In fact, I am actually surprised that I had not been there before since it was definitely my kind of eatery. Streamers decorated the evenly hung light bulbs on the ceiling, which gave the impression that a party was about to happen. Moreover, music blared through distant speakers to compliment the low hum of the early evening crowd. It was not as lively as I had expected it to be but it was a Wednesday after all and I could easily see WVRST being jam-packed, La Carnita style over any given weekend. 

While we were waiting for Holly, Karen and I decided to get a taster of WVRST by choosing to order two different sausages, prepared two different ways. At WVRST, sausages can be prepared on a toasted fresh bun or as a currywurst (e.g., sausages are sliced and drizzled with tomato curry sauce). I chose the duck (Maple/Foie Gras) sausage on a toasted bun while Karen chose the currywurst variation of the Kranjska (Pork/Garlic). We both decided on getting dirty duck fries, too. Once we had figured out what we wanted, I placed our orders at the food counter and got a stainless steel table number in exchange.

Our orders took some time to arrive, which was curious for a relatively quiet night. Regardless, each dish had something different to offer and I am glad we had ordered a diverse set of shareables. Karen and Holly both loved the Kranjska but the star of my night was perhaps the underdog of all underdogs - the dirty duck fries. I liked the seasoning, I liked the peppers, and I especially liked the kick imparted by the jalapenos.

After a short dinner at WVRST, I can see why people like it. It is certainly a great place to have a beer and just hang out. My little qualms regarding my experience were of little consequence in comparison to the quality of the food and the atmosphere of the restaurant. I will undoubtedly visit WVRST in the future and, perhaps, for a longer period of time next time.

--
Read about Karen's review here: "Eating European Sausages at WVRST"

Comments