Europe 2013: Wicked Food, Wicked Musical, Wicked Trip! (Day 9)

Portobello Market (not on the list!) 

We had just bought our tickets to Wicked (more on this later!) and were planning to go to Covent Garden before our lunch at Yauatcha when my sister wondered aloud if we should go to Portobello Market instead. We had been to both areas of London in the previous days: we visited Covent Garden on Day 7 and Notting Hill just yesterday (on Day 8). It was not a tough call and we made the spontaneous decision to get back on the tube after just coming out of it to visit the famous antique market. It was ways away from where we were at the time but we decided to go anyway! Carpe diem!

Just one of many antique stores at Portobello Market
We made the right decision. The little time we had before lunch was just enough to get a teaser of what Portobello Market is normally like on a weekend! As I had mentioned in my last post, Portobello Market was just teeming with locals and tourists alike! The streets en route to and within the market were just lined with stores upon stores upon stores of knick-knacks and goodies. The ultra-hip vibe was even more enhanced by the street performers, which ranged from acapella groups to Charlie Chaplin imitators (watch the London 2013 video for a snippet!). Portobello Market was where I bought one of my favourite purchases in the entire trip: "The Notting Hill Shopping Bag"! 

Have the best Dimsum/dining experience... ever! (not on the list!) 

My momma taking a photo of the restaurant!
Without even exaggerating, I think I can speak for my entire family when I say that this was the best meal we had eaten in London. There aren't even words to describe how much we loved our lunch at Yauatcha in Soho. The service was impeccable, the food was inventive, and the dessert was just out of this world! It was a really unforgettable dining experience. Lesson of the day: trust your travel guide's restaurant reviews!

#12: Watch a Musical at London's West End 

Wicked - the musical!
This has always been a part of my travel-do's and I am glad that my family and I had gotten the chance to do this in spite of our already busy schedule.

I remember leaving Barnes early with my sister with the plan of buying half-price tickets at Leicester Square to see Wicked, a musical about the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz. Incidentally, when we arrived at the tube station, tickets were being sold at the station itself (I told you such a thing as fate exists!)! Initially, I had thought that buying tickets to Wicked would be tricky but it turned out to be a zinch! We bought our tickets for the matinee in less than fifteen minutes and for no more than 60 pounds! Yes!

As for the performance itself, it was spectacular. Our half-price seats were worth every pound! We had a great view of the stage, which were close enough that we could see the actors' faces and emotions. The actresses who had played Elphaba and Glinda were really talented. I did not and still do not regret watching this in London! 

Dinner at Tapas Brindisa Soho (not on the list!)

Yummy tapas!
After another jam-packed day in London, we ended our evening back where it all began... in Soho. We had dinner at Tapas Brindisa where we enjoyed a delicious cheese board, charcuterie, and other tapas dishes.  We afterwards took a stroll through Oxford St. for one last time before heading back to Barnes, the place we had called home for the last four days. 
---
This is not the end, London! 

The ride home was bittersweet. We had such a wonderful time in London. In fact, I still sigh in reminiscence as I write about our last day in London months after we had arrived back home. There is so much more I want to share about the great English city (the "not on the list!" list is actually a lot longer than what has been shared thus far). These posts have merely been previews of a really amazing trip. The biggest thank you's go out to my parents for making this dream happen and to my sister for being such an amazing planner! This trip was one for the books!

Comments

  1. Wah, so many new updates!

    Omg, Wicked! I saw it in Seoul, lol. Such a great musical!! <3

    Food pics look amazing~ The adobo rice balls in the previous post look awesome! We should go to La Mesa together sometime. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it rains, it pours, Holly! LOL.

      I remember you mentioning that. I really loved Wicked, too! It is slightly different from the book but it was still amazing!

      We should definitely go to La Mesa! The food is really delicious there. :) Let's plan a din sometime in the fall! :)

      Delete
  2. Tapas Brindisa was on the list! I chose the restaurant from the travel guide. Teeheehee!

    This post reminds me so much of London that I'm itching to go back!!! Can't wait till our next travel adventure ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on the itinerary, for sure! It wasn't initially on my "London Bucket List" though! LOL. :D

      I know! It's really good to reminisce. What an awesome trip! I can't wait either! Greece? Greece? Hahaha! <3

      Delete
    2. SANTORINI. :O

      Delete
    3. That is the plan for 2014! Crossing my fingers and toes!!!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Greece!!! Lets go on our birthday week and make it special. Lol! I can't wait to go on my dream destination :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment