Dinner at the Copa: Copacabana
![]() |
| Flank steak, anyone? |
To say that I was stuffed after this weekend's dinners would be an understatement. "Stuffed" is one thing; "bursting at the seams" is definitely another. However, nothing less could have been expected after a visit to Eglinton's Copacabana.
As an aspiring foodie, I shamefully must admit that I actually avoided eating at Copacabana for a number of years. For some reason, the thought of unlimited servings of meat did not appeal to me in the slightest. So did its fifty-dollar price tag. Regardless, I finally became open to the idea after a slew of raving reviews befell me from friends in graduate school. As a result, plans were made for April 12th and off we went to see what all the fuss was and is about.
We arrived at the restaurant just before 8:00PM last Friday and, already, the restaurant is packed with people and alive with Brazilian music. Thankfully, Apple Jam's intense planning skills garnered us prompt seating at a table close to the bar. :) Within minutes, we were approached by our server who then explained the concept of the restaurant to us. The basic idea is "get your sides", "flip your card over to 'fire it up!'", and "prepare to get a meat coma". No joke.
Once we were explained the Brazilian steakhouse concept, we went to the buffet spread where we chose an assortment of sides, including my favourite, mango salad. Unsurprisingly, the boys already had their first servings of meat by the time we made it back to our table. Tsk, tsk, boys. Haha! In any case, roving servers returned to our table with their skewers and asked us if we wanted whatever they brought at the time. Of course, we said 'yes' (they made offers we couldn't refuse! :)).
Believe me when I say that I had never eaten so much meat... in one go... in my entire life. We had the pleasure of eating the following mains: chicken drumstick, filet mignon, top sirloin, garlic sirloin, flank steak, parmesan filet, and chimichurri steak. Although my favourite meat of the night was the parmesan filet, they were all exquisite, tender, and cooked-to-perfection. Our experience was further enhanced by traditional Brazilian and capoeira dancing. (The boys definitely enjoyed those performances. :P) For dessert, we were served grilled pineapple--the perfect ending to any meat-filled evening. I am not ashamed to admit that I had quite a few slices. Mmhmm, delicious.
I had such a good experience that Friday evening that I gave glowing reviews to the family the day after. They were so enticed by the notion of Copacabana that we made dinner reservations for the following Sunday during which I had another round of all of the meats mentioned above and more! By the end of our meal, I was up to my neck in protein and had an undeniable meat coma the Monday after. Haha!
In spite of its expensive price tag and the accompanying meat overload, I can truthfully say that I am now a fan of Copacabana. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was electric, and the service was well-appreciated. For all of you meat lovers out there, it will be worth your while to spend fifty dollars and your Friday night having dinner at one of the most lively, fun, and delicious restaurants in Toronto. Prior to your visit, just remember this one tip: prepare to eat some meat. :D Are you ready for this challenge? ;-)
![]() |
| Copacabana: A meat lover's paradise! |
I had such a good experience that Friday evening that I gave glowing reviews to the family the day after. They were so enticed by the notion of Copacabana that we made dinner reservations for the following Sunday during which I had another round of all of the meats mentioned above and more! By the end of our meal, I was up to my neck in protein and had an undeniable meat coma the Monday after. Haha!
In spite of its expensive price tag and the accompanying meat overload, I can truthfully say that I am now a fan of Copacabana. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was electric, and the service was well-appreciated. For all of you meat lovers out there, it will be worth your while to spend fifty dollars and your Friday night having dinner at one of the most lively, fun, and delicious restaurants in Toronto. Prior to your visit, just remember this one tip: prepare to eat some meat. :D Are you ready for this challenge? ;-)


Comments
Post a Comment